Deadline: November 1, 2015
Location: Facebook Headquarters, USA.
Applications are invited for Facebook fellowship program available to domestic and international students for full-time PhD accredited doctoral program focusing on a topic or field relevant to Facebook. Up to twelve (12) academic fellowships are awarded for a period of for two years. Each Facebook Fellowship includes several benefits like tuition and fees for the academic year(s)as well as $37,000 yearly grant, paid visit to Facebook HQ to present research and opportunity for paid internship.
Fellowships are awarded in the fields relevant to Facebook, such as: Artificial Intelligence, Computer Architecture, Computer Vision, Data Mining, Databases , Distributed Systems, Networking & Operating Systems , Economics and Computation, Human-Computer Interaction , Machine Learning , Natural Language Processing , Networking & Operating Systems , Programming Languages & Compilers, Security & Privacy, Social Computing, Software Engineering, Speech Technologies.
This Program is open to individuals who are enrolled full-time, as defined by the individual’s university, and in good standing at an appropriately accredited doctoral program focusing on a Topic or Field (whether an individual is engaged in research in a Topic or Field will be determined in Facebook’s sole discretion).
Candidates are not eligible to participate in this Program if they are a national or legal resident of those countries in which the United States has embargoed goods (including, without limitation, Cuba, North Korea, Iran, and Syria, unless you are enrolled full-time at an accredited university in the United States or a non-embargoed country, with the exception of nationals and legal residents of Cuba, who are unconditionally ineligible to participate). Applicants should be aware that Facebook’s ability to select for receipt of an Award a PhD Student who is from a country against which the United States has imposed comprehensive economic sanctions (such as Cuba, Iran, Sudan, Syria, or North Korea) may be sharply limited by United States law.
Further, the Award, or portions thereof, may be forfeited if an Award recipient does not remain enrolled with full-time status and in good standing at the same doctoral program for the entire period of the award. It is the obligation of all applicants to ensure that applying for the Award, participating in this
Program and, as applicable, received an Award, complies with all laws, rules and regulations of the jurisdiction in which such applicant is a legal resident/national.
Each Facebook Fellowship includes several benefits:
- Tuition and fees will be paid for the academic year(s) 2016-2017 and 2017-2018
- $37,000 yearly grant
- Paid visit to Facebook HQ to present your research
- Opportunity for paid internship
In Round 1, Reviewers from each topical area will be assigned to an application and score them based on the following criteria:
- Strength of applicant’s publication record, as detailed in the applicant’s CV.
- The merit of the research proposal, including its innovativeness and importance to the identified industry or field.
- Strength of applicant’s references
Those Applications that receive the highest scores in Round 1 will move onto Round 2, but the number of Applications that move onto Round 2 and the Fields/Topics from which they come will be determined in Facebook’s sole discretion. In Round 2, a team of Reviewers from each area will discuss the top applicants in their own area and compare them to those in other areas based on the same criteria as Round 1 above. In Round 3, all finalists will be reviewed and compared. The finalists will be selected by a final panel that may include a Facebook engineering director and CTO (subject to availability).
To apply, eligible individuals must submit the following materials (collectively, “Application”) to Facebook ONLINE or email a Word or PDF file of the Application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Fellowship Program Application”:
- Curriculum Vitae (“CV”): Your Application must include your CV, which should detail prior relevant work experience, academic record, and publication record.
- Letters of Reference: Application must include the name and contact information of two (2) people who will be providing letters of reference on behalf of the applicant. The letters of reference should address the applicant’s skills and character and why the applicant deserves to receive the Award. One (1) letter of reference must be from the applicant’s current doctoral program advisor. All letters must be submitted by the references by the Application due date.
- Research Proposal: Application must include a one (1) to two (2) page (single-spaced, 12 point Times New Roman font, one (1) inch margins) research proposal in your Field of study. Research proposals will be reviewed, subject to the two (2) page limit, and any page(s) submitted in excess of the two (2) page limit may not be read.
- Research Area: The research proposal must address the applicant’s PhD research area.
- Transcript (optional): Application may also include transcripts from any/all post-secondary educational institutions that the applicant has attended.
Visit Official Page