Grand Port


Grand Port is a district of Mauritius, situated in the east of the island. The name means large port in French. The district has an area of 260.3 km2 and the population estimate was at 116,211 as of 31 December 2012.

History.

Grand Port is named after the village of ‘Old Grand Port’ which saw the first Dutch landing and the first port of the island. It is centred on the town of Mahébourg on the coast, inside the Grand Port Bay. Built by the Dutch and later taken over by the French, the town is a reminder of the colonial past of the island.

In 1810, a French squadron of frigates achieved an ultimately futile naval victory over a comparable British squadron at the Battle of Grand Port, near the Île de la Passe.

Local YUVAs.

Grand Port District includes different regions; however, some regions are further divided into different suburbs. YUVA Grand Port has implemented local YUVAs in the following areas of the district:

  1. Bambous Virieux
  2. Bananes
  3. Beau Vallon
  4. Bois des Amourettes
  5. Congomah
  6. Grand Bel Air
  7. Grand Sable
  8. Mahébourg
  9. Mare Chicose
  10. Mare d’Albert
  11. Mare La Chaux
  12. Mare Tabac
  13. New Grove
  14. Nouvelle France
  15. Petit Bel Air
  16. Plaine Magnien
  17. Rivière des Créoles
  18. Trois Boutiques
  19. Union Park
  20. Vieux Grand Port