YUVA’s international partner Ashinaga has an opportunity, which could be of interest to some of our Mauritian youth, the details of which are below:
The Ashinaga Africa Initiative is a fully funded academic leadership program that aims to provide high potential orphaned students from across Sub Saharan Africa with access to higher education in Japan, the U.S.A. and Europe. Ashinaga’s vision is that after graduating from university abroad, its scholars will return to Sub Saharan Africa to become leaders and empower others.
The application is open to those who:
- Have lost one or both parents.
- Have completed 12 years of education (primary and secondary school) within the last two years, or those who will complete 12 years of education by December 31, 2018.
- Have citizenship and have completed/are completing high school in one of the following countries: Botswana, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Kingdom of eSwatini, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Mauritius, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, The Gambia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- Were born after 1st October 1996.
- Do not have the financial means to attend university.
- Are proficient in English.
- Have an outstanding academic performance at high school and were amongst the top students in their class.
- Are able to participate in the two Ashinaga preparatory programmes, over the course of one year, before attending university.
- Are willing to return home, or to Sub-Saharan Africa, and contribute to society after graduating from university.
- Have no dependents who could interfere with academic progress.
- Are in good health and capable of studying abroad.
This is a list of the documents you will need to submit as part of your application:
- Copy of national ID card or passport.
- Copy of term reports / high school transcripts (the last 2 years).
- Copy of final Secondary School Examination Certificate
- Copy of academic transcripts or diplomas from university/post-secondary institution, if applicable.
- Copy of death certificate of deceased parent(s), including the deceased parent’s name, or alternative official documentation proving death of parent(s) or orphan status.
- Copy of birth certificate of applicant.
- A passport sized photo (3.5cm x 4.5cm)
Application deadline: 12.00GMT Sunday, 16 December 2018
If you happen to know anyone who might be a good match, or any other individuals or organisations working with our target demographic, we would greatly appreciate if you could share this opportunity.